Cauliflower Fritters is a delicious easy to make snack at home for rainy season. Imagine it is a nice rainy season and you are relaxing at home, you feel a little cold and wonder of something quick, easy and warm to pamper yourself? Just for these kind of moments fritters are all you need! Fritters with some tomato, green sauce or red chilli sauce with some hot tea or coffee is all you need to make it a great day.
Many people do feel a little off when it rains but most just feel like going out in rain or relaxing and enjoying as the mother nature cleanse itself, making everything new and fresh again. In these moments fritters with some hot beverages can switch back the mood on again! Fritters are also called Pakoras in Hindi language and are quite popular in Indian Sub-continent. In this article we will cover Cauliflower fritters recipe since they are really yummy, tasty and easy to cook. Also, if you like Cauliflower then you have a new hot snack up your sleeves for those rainy days.
Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakora)
Cauliflower fritters are easy to make at home and take less than 15 mins of cook time. They are also called as Gobi Pakoras. It is served with some hot beverages such as Tea and Coffee along with Coriander Chutney or Tomato Sauce.
There are many type of fritters or Pakoras that you can prepare at home like – Potato fritters aka Aloo Pakora, Paneer Pakora, Spinach Fritters or Palak Pakoda or Onion Pakora. It is quite hard to say which one is the best but all of them bring something different and is more of personal preference. Usually, Onion Pakoras, Bread Pakoras, Paneer Pakoras are quite popular.
However, if you are a little unconventional then you may want to try Chilli Pakoras or Chilli Fritters. Cauliflower is known as Gobi (Gobhi) in Hindi language. It is very low in calorie where a 100 gm Cauliflower adds 25 calories to your daily intake. Cauliflower is also good source of Potassium and dietary fibre which is good for health. However, since Cauliflower Fritters are calorie rich snacks you may want to take them in limited quantity. This means you enjoy them sometimes while keeping a check on your weight and health.
Explore More Recipes & Articles
Ingredients for Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakora)
Here is the list of all ingredients that you need to make Cauliflower Fritters. Most of the ingredients as mentioned in this Cauliflower Fritters recipe should be easily available in nearby grocery or local supermarket. If you are living outside, many of these ingredients are now-a-days readily available in major supermarkets due to their extensive use in cooking.
Almost all the spices listed for the dish are commonly available. If you are living outside India and struggling to get hold of few exception spices like Carom seeds (Ajwain) you may skip it. In such case you can experiment with adding any other common spices – Chilli flakes, Oregano, Parsley, Chives etc available in the market.
Carom seeds provide additional flavour to the dish and there is no harm in experimenting with other local spices in case you cannot find them in your local stores. One of the other key spices that you need for this dish is the Garam Masala. Garam Masala is a mixture of many Indian spices in certain proportions. Since it is a key spice in many asian dishes it is readily available in many superstores outside India.
There are many popular Garam Masala brands available in market but personally we prefer M.D.H spices. This is because these spices give great authentic Indian flavour. If you want to go for authentic and fresh spice taste go for MDH Garam Masala.
We are not an affiliate to M.D.H spices however we recommend them to get the great Indian and fresh spice flavour.
Gram flour is a flour made from gram chickpeas and is used to make batter for fritters. Since it is quite common to use this flour in many other dishes hence it is readily available in and outside India. You can easily find this flour in local stores and supermarkets.
Rice flour is a commonly known ingredient and available in local stores. It is an optional ingredient and is helps to make fritters a bit crispy and hence mixed with Gram flour while making the batter. In case you do not have Rice flour you can also use fine Semolina (Suji) to mix with Gram flour. This will do the same work and make fritters more crispy.
Preparation Steps to make Cauliflower Fritters
Finely chop green chillies and coriander leaves. These will be later added in the Cauliflower Fritters batter. Cut Cauliflower into small and medium shapes. It is good to have a mix of small and medium pieces so you get a variation in taste as you eat them later. Ensure not to cut thick pieces else you may not experience the perfect blend of Cauliflower and spices taste while you eat Cauliflower Fritters.
Now before you start preparing batter, take approx 2 cups of Vegetable oil in a deep frying pan and put it on gas. Switch the flame to high to heat up oil. This will ensure that by the time you prepare batter, oil is ready for frying Cauliflower Fritters.
Now it is time to prepare the batter. Take Gram Flour, Rice flour, Asafoetida, Red chillies powder, green chillies, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Salt, coriander leaves and Carom Seed in a bowl and add 1/2 cup water to it.
Now mix all Ingredients properly so that there are no lump formations else it spoil the experience. Once you have mixed all ingredients your batter is ready.
Tips & Tricks – Once cooked, how good your Cauliflower Fritters will taste depends on the ratio of spices and their quality so choose your spices wisely.
Explore More Recipes & Articles
How to make Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakora)
By now the oil in frying pan should be hot enough to make Cauliflower Fritters. To check this take 1/2 tsp batter and drop it in the frying pan. If it makes intense fizzing sound and the batter drop immediately floats in oil then it means oil is ready for frying.
Tips & Tricks – Remember, listen to sounds during cooking to understand your food better, just like we added a pinch of batter to check if oil is ready for frying.
Take chopped Cauliflowers and mix it well with batter such that batter wraps each piece properly and drop it in hot oil. Be cautious of the hot oil spatter as they may cause burn. This may happen if you accidentally drop water droplets in the hot oil, so be careful.
Caution – Be cautious of the hot oil spatter as they may cause burn. This may happen if you accidentally drop water droplets in the hot oil, so be careful.
While frying roll over Cauliflower Fritters so as to cook them evenly on both sides. Fry Cauliflower Fritters until they turn golden brown. Once they get the required colour you can take them out using slotted turner or slotted spoon.
Before taking them out, take a kitchen towel or tissue papers and place them on a plate. This will absorb access oil from Pakoras.
You are now ready to serve Cauliflower Fritters.
Serving Ideas for Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakora)
Fritters are usually quite popular during winters or hilly regions where the weather is cold or wet. Cook this great snack especially for your friends and family on a cold winter day or rainy day and enjoy.
Serve Cauliflower fritters with some sauces such as Serve with some Coriander Chutney or Green Sauce along with some Tomato Ketchup and a hot beverage such as Masala Tea or Coffee.
In addition, just sprinkle some Chat Masala and some herbs such as Parsley and Oregano on top of Cauliflower Fritters.
Chef Recommendations for Cauliflower Fritters
- In case you do not have Rice flour, you can skip it and the Cauliflower Fritters will still be delicious.
- If you want to make it more Spicy, add some Chat Masala on top of Cauliflower while preparing Cauliflower Fritters and keep it for sometime.
Hot Beverages and sauces such as Garlic sauce, Coriander Chutney, Chilli Sauce or Tomato Ketchup are great combination for Cauliflower Fritters. While serving top it with some chat masala and herbs such as Oregano, Parsley, Chives can enhance the flavour.
While you can have Cauliflower Fritters any day, mostly these are great snacks during rainy season and winters when the climate is cold or moderate.
No Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakora) are not good for your health. Ideally non of the Pakoras (Fritters) fit the bill of being healthy hence the same advice is applicable to all. Pakoras are calorie rich and fried food hence are not good for heart and can easily lead to weight gain.
The only reason you should ever have Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) is to try a different variety and for its taste. Since it is fried food it is tasty and addictive. Eating Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) occasionally and in moderate quantity can help you enjoy them without any adverse effect to your health.
Yes, Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) have a high tendency to increase your weight. Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) are fried food and therefore are very calorie rich. Eating Cauliflower Fritters quite often can increase your weight drastically and also cause acidity.
You should only have Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) occasionally and in moderate quantity. Eating Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) occasionally for change of taste is a good idea but eating it regularly will have negative consequences on your health. If you care for your heart health and want to maintain a healthy lifestyle you should eat lesser fried food.
The name of Gobi Pakora dish consists of two words – Gobi and Pakora. Gobi is called as Cauliflower while Pakoras are called fritters in English language and hence the name Cauliflower Fritters.
No Cauliflower Fritters are not good for your health. Even if you are fitness freak eating fried foods is not good for your health. If you are planning to lose weight or have challenges maintaining it Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) or any Pakoras for that matter should be avoided.
You can still enjoy Cauliflower Fritters (Gobi Pakoras) occasionally for their great taste but you should restrict their consumption to avoid weight gain and other health issues.
And that is not all folks! Shall we take this opportunity to invite you to discover more tasty and yummy recipes in our food wonderland.
- Compliment Pakoras with some cool combination of drinks and sauces. Check out our Beverages and Soups & Sauces section.
- How about trying few more tasty delicacies to prepare at home –
Main Ingredients for Cauliflower Fritters
- 100 g Cauliflower
Main Ingredients for Cauliflower Fritters Batter
- 1/3 cup Gram flour Besan
- 1 tbsp Rice flour Chawal Aata
- 5 g Green Chillies Hari Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Salt As per taste
- 1/8 tsp Red chillies powder Lal Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds Ajwain
- Pinch of Asafoetida Hing
- Few Coriander leaves
Optional Ingredients for Cauliflower Fritters
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Chat Masala for added flavour and garnishing
- 1/8 tsp dried Parsley for added flavour and garnishing
- 1/8 tsp dried Oregano for added flavour and garnishing
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
Preparation Steps to make Cauliflower Fritters
- Finely chop Green chillies and Coriander leaves.5 g Green Chillies, Few Coriander leaves
- Chop Cauliflower into medium pieces.100 g Cauliflower
- Take approx 2 cup Vegetable oil in a deep frying pan and put it on gas and switch it to high flame. This you can do so that oil is heated till the time you prepare the batter.Vegetable Oil for deep frying
How to make Cauliflower Fritters Batter
- Now to prepare the batter, take Gram Flour, Rice flour, Asafoetida, Red chilies powder, green chilies, coriander leaves, Turmeric, Garam Masala Salt and Carom Seed in a bowl and add 1/2 cup water to it.1/3 cup Gram flour, 1 tbsp Rice flour, 5 g Green Chillies, 1/4 tsp Salt, 1/8 tsp Red chillies powder, 1/4 tsp Turmeric, 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds, Pinch of Asafoetida, 1/4 tsp Garam Masala, Few Coriander leaves
- Now mix all Ingredients properly so that there are no lump formations else it will spoil the experience. Your batter is now ready.
How to make Cauliflower Fritters
- By now the oil in frying pan should be hot enough to make Cauliflower Fritters. To check this take 1/2 tsp batter and drop it in the frying pan. If it makes intense fizzing sound and the batter drop immediately floats in oil then it means oil is ready for frying.
- Take chopped Cauliflowers and mix it well with batter such that batter wraps each piece properly and drop it in hot oil. Be cautious of the hot oil spatter as they may cause burn. This may happen if you accidentally drop water droplets in the hot oil, so be careful.
- While you fry, roll over Cauliflower Fritters so they get fried evenly on both sides. Fry Cauliflower Fritters until they turn golden brown. Once they get the required colour you can take them out using slotted turner or slotted spoon.
- Your Cauliflower Fritters are now ready to be served. Before serving, sprinkle some Chat Masala and some herbs such as Parsley and Oregano on top of Cauliflower Fritters.1/4 tsp Chat Masala, 1/8 tsp dried Parsley, 1/8 tsp dried Oregano