If you love Indian food a lot then there is no chance that you won’t have heard about this side dish called Raita. Raita is quite often served with some main dishes such as Veg Biryani or Chicken Biryani, Matar Pulao, Paratha etc. Raita is said to have originated from Indian Subcontinental and is quite popular in this region. There is a wide variety of Raita that you can try at home. One of the many popular Raita recipes is the Cucumber Raita recipe. Cucumber and Yogurt are the key ingredients in Cucumber Raita recipe. Cucumber raita is a quick and easy recipe which can be prepared in less than 10 min. Though Raita can be prepared any time during the year however it is in much demand during summer season.
Explore More Recipes & Articles
One of the key ingredients for this dish is Yogurt aka Curd which provides various health benefits. Yogurt is a dairy product made by fermenting milk. Yogurt is high in Protein and Calcium therefore it is best for growing kids and elderly people. 100 gm of Natural Yogurt provides around 5.2 gm Protein (10% of adult reference intake) and 125 mg Calcium (17% of Nutrient Reference Value) with only 81 calories (Kcal) added to your daily calorie intake. It is also very good option to include in your diet for weight loss. Therefore, if you are focused on Protein rich diet then natural yogurt or Raita made from natural yogurt is a healthy option for you.
Making Cucumber Raita at home
In this section we will go through 3 easy steps to make Cucumber Raita at home. Cucumber Raita recipe mentioned here includes pictures at different milestones to ensure you are right on track.
To prepare the Cucumber Raita, finely chop green chillies and Coriander leaves. Now take Cucumber and finely grate it using a grater. How fine you would like to grate is a matter of personal choice.
Take Yogurt in a bowl and beat it until smooth. Once yogurt is smooth, add grated Cucumber in it and mix it well.
Add Red Chillies powder, Black Salt, Table Salt, Roasted Cumin Seeds and Black Pepper, green chillies to yogurt and mix it well.
Your freshly prepared Cucumber Raita is now ready to be served. Before serving, garnish Cucumber Raita with Coriander and Mint leaves.
If your Cucumber Raita is thick, add some water to dilute it. It is usually preferred to keep yogurt a bit diluted to make any kind of Raita. Do not make it too thin else it will loose its texture and wont taste that good. Cucumber Raita can go well with Parathas or with spicy meals.
Cucumber Raita during fast (Vrat)
Cucumber Raita is a popular side served along with other dishes as meals for fast-breaking (Vrat). To make your Cucumber Raita for fast, you just need to replace Black Salt and Table Salt with Rock Salt (Sendha Namak). Rest of the ingredients will remain the same.
A typical meal for fast-breaking may include Poori, Jeera Aloo, Aloo Matar, Suji Ka Halwa or Rice Kheer and Cucumber Raita.
Tips & Tricks – Yogurt used for Raita should not be too sour else it will spoil the overall dish. Take fresh Yogurt to make this delicious side.
Discover more recipes
And that is not all folks! Shall we take this opportunity to invite you to discover more tasty and yummy recipes in our food wonderland.
- Check more such sides in our Curry section.
- How about trying few more tasty sides for Summer –
Cucumber Raita Recipe
Main Ingredients for Cucumber Raita
- 1 cup Natural Yogurt Dahi
- 1 cup grated Cucumber Kheera
- 1/2 tsp Table Salt Namak
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Red chillies powder Lal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Seeds Bhuna Jeera
- 3/4 tsp crushed Black Pepper Kali Mirch
Optional Ingredients for Cucumber Raita
- 5 g Green Chillies Hari Mirch
- Few Coriander Leaves
- Few fresh Mint leaves
How to make Cucumber Raita
- Finely grate Cucumber using a grater. Finely chop green chillies and Coriander leaves.1 cup grated Cucumber, 5 g Green Chillies, Few Coriander Leaves
- Take Yogurt in a bowl and beat it till smooth. Once yogurt is smooth, add grated Cucumber in it and mix it well.1 cup Natural Yogurt, 1 cup grated Cucumber
- Now add Red Chillies powder, Black Salt, Table Salt, Roasted Cumin Seeds and Black Pepper, green chillies to yogurt and mix it well.1/2 tsp Table Salt, 1/2 tsp Black Salt, 1 tsp Red chillies powder, 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Seeds, 3/4 tsp crushed Black Pepper, 5 g Green Chillies
- And just in these three steps your Cucumber Raita is ready to be served. Before serving, garnish Cucumber Raita with Coriander and Mint leaves.Few fresh Mint leaves
- Replace Table Salt and Black Salt with Rock Salt if you are preparing dish for fast.
- Black Salt adds additional flavour but if you don’t like it you can replace with any other similar spice of your choice.