Mint julep is a cocktail drink made by mixing bourbon whiskey, sugar, water, crushed ice, and fresh mint.
It originated in Southern United States in 18th century. In preparation it resembles Mojito since Mint is muddled in sugar syrup to add the flavour of oils and juices in the finished cocktail.
Traditionally Mint Julep were served in silver glasses and held from the top or bottom of the glasses to minimize the heat transfer from the hand.
The frost on the outside of the cup gives cocktail the extra appeal.
Mint Julep is served with lots of crushed ice to build the frost on the outside of the vessel.
Fact about Mint Julep
As per google, Mint Julep is the official drink at the Kentucky Derby, and each year almost 120,000 juleps are served on the occasion, virtually all of them in specially made collectible glasses.
Mint Julep is a popular cocktail during summer holidays such as Easter break.
Drink responsibly – It is recommended adults do not regularly drink more than 14 units per week. Always check label for unit information.
For more facts visit – drinkaware.co.uk
Mint Julep – How to Mix
Take some Mint leaves and sugar syrup in the glass and gently Muddle Mint leaves using a rolling pin.
Do not press hard as that may leave with extra bitterness to the flavour.
Add bourbon and lots of crushed ice. Stir the cocktail until frost forms on the outside of the glass.
Now add some more crushed ice to fill the glass completely.
Explore More Cocktails
Add a dash of bitter, and garnish with a mint sprig and serve.
Enjoy the Mint Julep this holiday season and let yourself experience the taste of Bourbon.
- Do not press fresh mints too much else it will make the cocktail bitter
- Add lots of crushed ice to get the best flavour
Discover More Cocktails
And that is not all folks! Shall we take this opportunity to invite you to discover more cocktails in our food wonderland.
- Check more such drinks in our Beverages and Cocktail section.
- How about trying these cocktails as summer and holiday drink –
- 1 Muddler Rolling pin
- 1 Cocktail Spoon
- 1 Highball Glass Julep glass or Long glass
Main Ingredients for Mint Julep
- 65 ml Bourbon Whiskey
- 12 ml Sugar Syrup
- 10 Mint Leaves
- Dash of Angostura Bitter
- Mint Sprig
How to mix Mint Julep
- In the vessel take some Mint leaves and sugar syrup. Gently Muddle Mint leaves using a rolling pin.10 Mint Leaves, 12 ml Sugar Syrup
- Add bourbon and add lots of crushed ice. Stir until frost forms on the outside of the glass. Add some more crushed ice to fill the glass completely. Add a dash of bitter, garnish with a mint sprig and serve.65 ml Bourbon Whiskey, Dash of Angostura Bitter, Mint Sprig
- Gently press Mint leaves so it enhances the flavour. Too much pressing may add bitterness to the flavour.