Steamed rice recipe is a very basic recipe which may look very simple but to prepare that fluffy, non-sticky steamed rice sometimes become quite a challenge.
Steamed rice takes approx 15 – 20 mins to cook over gas without a steamer or rice cooker. You can also cook Steamed rice in a microwave and it is quite handy at times.
As you can see that there are multiple ways in which you can cook the perfect steamed rice at home. However, in this article we will focus on how to make steamed rice without steamer.
This article will give step by step instructions to prepare the perfect steamed rice.
To prepare our perfect steamed rice we will be using Basmati rice but you can use similar steps to prepare steamed rice with any other variety of rice.
There are many other rice recipes which you can try such as Jeera rice recipe, Fried rice recipe, Matar pulao recipe, Soya chunks pulao recipe, Paneer pulao recipe, Veg biryani, Chicken biryani and many more.
Explore More Recipes & Articles
Refer recipe card and detailed steps on How to make steamed rice without steamer.
Make steamed rice without steamer or rice cooker
Take a large bowl and add Basmati Rice in it. Wash the rice thoroughly with water. This is required since rice available in market is usually polished to give it the required luster.
Washing rice will also remove any chemicals or pesticides which may have been used. Ensure, you don’t over do it and should wash the rice twice so you don’t loose on important nutrients.
Once the rice is washed, take a deep cooking pot and add washed rice to it. Add 2 cup of water and add salt and clarified butter to it. This will add some flavour and will make it non-sticky and fluffy.
Put the pot on gas or electric hob for cooking rice. Turn the flame to high so that the water starts boiling.
Do not cover the pot till this stage else the starch from rice will start overflowing the pot as soon as the water starts boiling.
Once the water starts boiling, simmer the gas flame so that starch water does not start overflowing and cover the pot with a lid. Let the rice cook slowly for another 7 – 10 mins. You should now see steam holes on the rice.
When you are happy that almost all the water has been evaporated, turn off the gas and keep rice for another 2 – 5 mins so that remaining water gets evaporated completely.
Your fluffy steamed rice is now prepared and ready to be served. Garnish it with coriander leaves and if you are serving with a curry dish then serve with green chillies. This will spice up the meal.
Remember, steamed rice is non-sticky but your end result may vary based on the quantity of water and the quality of Basmati Rice or any rice for that matter.
It is best to go for aged rice since they tend to be less sticky then new fresh rice available in market.
Chef Recommendation for Steamed Rice
To get some additional flavour add Black Pepper and Cardamom while cooking steamed rice.
Discover more recipes
And that is not all folks! Shall we take this opportunity to invite you to discover more tasty and yummy recipes in our food wonderland.
- Compliment steamed rice with curry dishes to make a whole meal by referring our Recipes section and Snacks & Sides section for more recipe options.
- How about adding some Desserts? Check out these tasty desserts –
Steamed Rice Recipe
Main Ingredients for Steamed Rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice Basmati Chawal
- 1/8 tsp of Salt Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 tsp Clarified Butter Ghee
Preparation Steps to make Steamed Rice
- Take Basmati rice in a large bowl and wash it thoroughly with water. Try washing rice only twice so that you don’t loose on nutrients.1 cup Basmati Rice
How to make Steamed Rice
- Now take washed in a deep cooking pot and add 2 cup of water. Also, add Salt and Clarified butter to it.1 cup Basmati Rice, 1/8 tsp of Salt, 1/2 tsp Clarified Butter
- Now, put the pot on gas or electric hob for cooking. Turn the flame to high so the water starts boiling.
- Once the water starts boiling simmer the gas flame so that starch water does not start overflowing the pot.
- Now, put a lid on the pot and let the rice cook on simmer flame for another 7 – 10 mins until all the water is evaporated. You should now see steam holes on the rice.
- When you are happy that almost all the water has evaporated, turn off the gas and keep it for 2 – 5 mins so that remaining water gets evaporated completely.
- You should now have a fluffy steamed rice ready to be served.